Since 1987, the local Resource Conservation District (RCD) has offered an Annual Speak–Off Contest for High School students. Created by the California Association of Resource Conservation Districts (CARCD), this contest is open to all Glenn County students in the 9th – 12th grade levels.
Each year, a different topic is chosen by CARCD. Past topics include:
- 2023 - "California climate is changing, and groundwater recharge will be important to ensure water for future generations. Are there other natural resource benefits to groundwater recharge projects and how can RCDs help? What local or regional examples can you point to and how have these examples helped your community?"
- "How does the long-term California drought affect your region and what can local Resource Conservation Districts do to help?"
- "Why do we need to act to save the monarch butterfly? What can RCDs do to help?"
- "How can RCDs help landowners reduce the threat of fires?"
- "How can RCDs better involve their communities in conservation?"
- "Based on history, what is your conservation dream and how can Resource Conservation Districts be involved?"
Contestants prepare a 3-5 minute speech on the given topic.
First, a local contest is held at the County-level. The top speaker advances to the Regional-level contest. Then top regional speaker advances to the State-level contest. In addition, each contest has a cash prize for the winners!
Click below to see a list of past Glenn County winners!Awards Hall of Fame 1987 - 2022.pdf
2023 application2023 Speak-Off Contest Packet for High School Applicants.pdf
2023 High School Speak-Off Contest
Date: Monday, October 16, 2023
Time: 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
Location: Glenn County Farm Bureau, 831 5th Street, Orland, CA 95963
*During regular RCD Meeting