Since 1987, the local Resource Conservation District (RCD) has offered an Annual Speak–Off Contest for High School students. Created by the California Association of Resource Conservation Districts (CARCD), this contest is open to all Glenn County students in the 9th – 12th grade levels.
Each year, a different topic is chosen by CARCD. Past topics include:
- "How does the long-term California drought affect your region and what can local Resource Conservation Districts do to help?"
- "Why do we need to act to save the monarch butterfly? What can RCDs do to help?"
- "How can RCDs help landowners reduce the threat of fires?"
- "How can RCDs better involve their communities in conservation?"
- "Based on history, what is your conservation dream and how can Resource Conservation Districts be involved?"
Contestants prepare a 3-5 minute speech on the given topic.
First, a local contest is held at the County-level. The top speaker advances to the Regional-level contest. Then top regional speaker advances to the State-level contest. In addition, each contest has a cash prize for the winners!
Click below to see a list of past Glenn County winners!Awards Hall of Fame 1987 - 2021.pdf
2022 application is now available! DUE SEPTEMBER 12th2022 Speak-Off Contest Packet for High School Applicants.pdf
2022 High School Speak-Off Contest
Date: Monday, September 19, 2022
Time: 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
Location: Glenn County Farm Bureau, 831 5th Street, Orland, CA 95963
Click here for Agenda