Due to the importance of healthy soils, Glenn County RCD, NRCS and UCCE has partnered together to help promote and encourage healthy soils. It is our goal to help provide opportunity to farmers while sharing information and learning more from each other.
As part of this partnership, Glenn County RCD created a Farmer-led Steering/Technical Advisory Committee made up of farmers and local experts on the topic to ensure a locally led process.
Goals and Activities:
Series of Field Days – A Growers Perspective
- Cover Crop Efficacy in Orchard Settings
- Strip Till – No Till: Click here for YouTube Video
- Rangeland Health
- Compost – Mulch – Cover Crops in Orchards
- Breakfast + A Soil Health And Composting Workshop with Local Industry
- Cover Crops – Early Planting vs. Late Planting – Brassica Blends vs. Plowdowns vs. Cereals – Application of Cover Crops in Walnut Production
- Cover Crops in Orchards – Nematode Management – Rainfall Simulation – Erosion Control – Use of Unruh Roller
- Cover Crops, Carbon & Drought: Click here for more info!
Carbon Farm Planning
Click here to visit our new Carbon Farm Planning page!
And, ultimately, Healthy Soils!
DocumentsWalnut Orchards and Cover Crops: Daniel Unruh and Kabir Zahangir Tell the Story of the UnderstoryCover Crop Field Day: Soil Health Tour Attracts almost 100 Farmers to Country Pumpkins and Lohse Farms in Glenn County, CABrassica, Almonds and PrunesNews & Report – April 2016Glenn County Soil Health Partnership Presentation for Farm Bureau
View Glenn County RCD’s Soil Health Videos on YouTube!